Find tips, recommendation, and expectations for moving into The Element here
On behalf of the entire Element staff, we happily welcome you as a new resident of this diverse and exciting community! We would like to thank you for choosing to live with us and we look forward to making this year a memorable one. With so many fun and engaging resident events planned for the year ahead, we hope to provide all the resources that will contribute to your happy stay here at one of the most unique properties in Sacramento.
For all things Element, please refer to this guide for a seamless transition into the community. This packet includes pertinent information about the property, protocols, and tips for maximum living. We hope this information will help make your experience here at The Element a success!
The Element’s Staff
Move-In Day Process
Here's what your day will be like when moving in
- Please park in your designated assigned parking space (you will receive this when you receive your unit assignment between August 1st-10th) if you did not opt in for an assigned space please park in uncovered not reserved. When you arrive please have your guests park in the Target parking lot.
- Please respectfully follow the move in times assigned by building so we can assist with your move-in process and make this transition as smooth as possible.
9am – 10am: Bldg. 2-5
10am – 11am: Bldg. 6-10
11am – 12pm: Bldg. 11-14
(Pool Area) – Bagels and Donuts from 10am-12pm
12pm – 1pm: Office Closed
1pm – 2pm: Bldg. 15-17
3pm – 4pm: Bldg. 18 & 1
(Pool Area) – Burritos from 1pm-4pm
What to Bring on Move-in Day
- Valid Government-Issued Photo ID
- Renters Insurance Certificate (See required insurance addendum to Lease Agreement)
- If you wish to have your own renter’s insurance please reach out to your insurance company and obtain $100,000 in liability. In most cases having car insurance and renter’s insurance will allow for a multiple policy discount and possibly lower your monthly cost all around.
- August 2019 Full Installment (Key’s cannot be given unless resident has a $0 balance)
- SMUD Account Number if not previously given (1 person in every unit needs to contact SMUD and get Electricity set up in their name, all roommates are expected to split the cost of these utilities and pay the person responsible for the bill). https://www.smud.org/
- PG&E Account Number if not previously given (1 person in every unit needs to contact PG&E and get Gas set up in their name, all roommates are expected to split the cost of these utilities and pay the person responsible for the bill). https://www.pge.com/
Additional Move-In Day Information
What to Expect and Other Considerations
- Move in procedures will be facilitated around our Clubhouse/Pool Area.
- Move in appointments are assigned.
- Late move in’s can be done by appointment, see below.
- There will be several stations guiding you through move in; the process will take about an hour.
- Paperwork, payments, portal, keys, etc.
- To facilitate the process as quickly as possible, we ask that ONLY the resident move through the stations. We would appreciate if parents, guarantors, friends and family members could wait for the resident in the pool area to enjoy the snacks and vendors we will have on site!
- There will be hundreds of people moving in on the same day as you, be prepared to wait in lines & please be patient!
- U-Hauls or moving vans are not allowed to park under the carports. These types of vehicles are too tall and will cause damage to the structure and overhead solar panels.
- NO overnight parking of moving vehicles is allowed.
Moving In at a Time Other Than Your Scheduled Day
- You are welcome to move in any day after your scheduled move in day as long as any payments due are received by our office prior to your lease start date.
- We can only accommodate move ins during business hours. If you are coming on a day other than your scheduled move in day, we are able to facilitate your move in during these times:
- Monday- Sunday 10:00 am – 4:00 pm
Preparing for Your New Apartment
- Your apartment will come furnished with the following (if you have a furnished unit):
- Bedroom: Full size extra-long bed and mattress, desk and chair, nightstand, dresser with drawers
- Full XL Bed Dimensions: 54” W x 80” L. Target & The Element have partnered up to ensure your bedding needs are covered. Visit their bed & bath section for bedding options designed to fit our mattress’s.
- Living Room: Sectional sofa & sofa chair, coffee table, end table, entertainment stand, TV
*Select units come furnished with a 47” T.V. mounted to the living room wall
- Dining Room/Kitchen: Dining room table with chairs
- Bedroom: Full size extra-long bed and mattress, desk and chair, nightstand, dresser with drawers
Follow us on Instagram for After Party Luau Information: Instagram.com/elementliving/
Making Your First Payment and Subsequent Payments
Your first installment will need to be in certified funds (ie. Cashier’s check or money order). It is due on or before 8/1/19.
Subsequent installments are due on the 1st of every month. Your installment is considered late after the 1st and will receive a late fee if paid after midnight on the 4th resulting in an automatic $75 late fee per your lease.
Your installment should be paid through your resident portal. Alternatively, it can be paid in person by check or money order. Cash is not accepted.
Checks can be dropped off in the drop box on the outside east wall of the Clubhouse, brought in person to the front desk or mailed in and are credited upon receipt. Any payments submitted by mail should be addressed to the leasing office at: 6730 4th Ave. Sacramento, CA 95817 ATT: Justin Fisher
All checks should be made out to The Element, and must include what the check is for, your first and last name, and your full unit number (ie. John Smith, October 2019 rent, #1111A)
Online Portal Payments
The Online Resident Portal is a valuable tool for our residents. Access your portal if you want to make a one-time rent payment or set up automatic monthly payments, submit a work order, or view upcoming resident events on the community calendar.
To access the Resident Portal, visit elementstudentliving.com/resident-login/
Packing Tips & What to Bring
Instructions and Tips
- Ensure that your items are packed securely in boxes or containers that are easy to carry. Well-packed items allow you and our volunteers to move all of your items quickly and efficiently to your room. Do not pack your belongings in garbage bags.
- Clearly mark all of your items with your first and last name to ensure your belongings are directed properly.
- Don’t pack things in alcohol or liquor boxes.
- Do not bring family pets with you.
- Parking is extremely limited during the move-in weekend. Our unloading spaces cannot accommodate hitched trailers due to limited maneuverability. Therefore only ONE car is allowed per student for move-in.
- Once you get your roommate assignment, contact them and discuss what large items each of you are planning to bring to campus. This way you can avoid overcrowding the room and having duplicate items!
PLEASE NOTE: At no time may you leave your car unattended in an unloading zone due to fire code.
Packing for the Big Day
- Personal Identification (state ID and/or passport)
- Linens, pillows and mattress cover (all beds are twin extra long)
- Toiletries and towels
- Shower shoes/flip-flops
- Computer (you might want to purchase a laptop anti-theft device or lock)
- Alarm clock
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry bag/basket and detergent
- Health insurance card
- Insurance protection for your property
- Personal emergency preparedness kit (flashlight, water, first-aid materials, batteries, etc.)
What Else Could I Bring?
- Additional reading/desk lamp (halogen lamps are not permitted)
- Throw rug(s)
- Decorations to help make your room your home
- Hair dryer/straightener/curling iron (must have an auto shutoff function)
- Small clothes iron
- Mattress pad
- Bicycle and high-quality U-lock, as bicycles sometimes get stolen (bike rack located in the center of property)
- Recreation equipment (please note storage is VERY limited)
- Personal safe or lock box
What Should I NOT Bring?
- Candles, incense, and/or oil burners
- Extension cords longer than 10 feet
- Pets – other than fish in 5 gallon or smaller tanks
- Furniture of any kind, including but not limited to, desks, chairs, mattresses, beds, waterbeds, tables, and office chairs)
- Drum sets or large musical equipment
- Speaker systems
- Personal wireless router, as it will interfere with the wireless internet provided to your fellow residents
- Gas-powered equipment
- Weapons and simulated weapons (for example, firearms, knives, Swiss Army knives, pellet guns, paintball guns, machete, firecrackers, and capguns)
Sample Packing Checklist
Per your lease, if you do not have a parking permit at The Element, you are not allowed a car on the property. Please read this section carefully for clarification of commonly addressed issues with parking.
To receive your permit, you must present your valid DMV Vehicle Registration showing that the vehicle is registered to YOU as the resident.
The permit types will be explained below. You may park ONLY in your permitted parking area or space.
Different types of parking
Covered Assigned Parking
All covered parking is rented and assigned by the office. Parking in an assigned covered parking spot without the proper permits can result in immediate tow.
Reserved “uncovered” Parking
All reserved parking is rented and assigned by the office. Parking in an assigned reserved parking spot without the proper permits can result in immediate tow.
Unassigned Open Parking
Parking that is uncovered is available for residents on a first come first serve. A parking permit is required otherwise may result in an immediate tow.
Still need parking?
WE WILL SELL OUT! We will be completing our parking permit program by August 1st, if you would like to reserve a space and did not specify please let us know prior to August 1st.
Guest parking policy
Guest may use street parking, please make sure all signs are read to avoid being towed. Guest’s are not allowed to park within the gates of our community, if this rule is violated vehicles may be subject to tow.
If someone is parked in your assigned spot, you should call HB Towing at 916-388-0000
Other Transportation Options
Bicycling to campus is an option used by our residents. You can anticipate a 10-minute ride to campus & store your bike in our on-site bike locker. We also offer a program for our residents to checkout a bike!
The Element shuttle is our most preferred method to campus. The shuttle starts running from 7am & runs every 30minutes from the community to campus until 4pm.
All vehicles must have a parking permit while parked on our property, vehicles that do not follow our parking guidelines otherwise may be subject to tow.